Thursday, 9 June 2016

Let's support those with depression. From me to you, when you'refeeling blu.

I'm starting a movement. Anyone want to get involved? 
#frommetoyouwhenyourefeelingblu


Do you know someone who has depression? I've decided to start a movement to encourage people to be aware of those in their circle of friends and family who do, and to send a card (or even a few) in July, to let them know how much you care. This is a subject close to my heart, as I've lost a family member to depression as a teenager. Let's see how many people lives we touch! 





In this digital age, we send texts, but do you remember how lovely it is to get something that's NOT a bill in the mail? To know someone cares enough to let you know they are there for you, with an encouraging sentence or two, that you can keep forever, and never forget...... Is a beautiful, powerful thing.


Last year a very close friend was struggling with depression, and I wanted to do something to be there for her- but we are separated by 2 states, so it was very difficult. I decided to send her a card a day for a week, with the last card containing a gift voucher for her and her partner to go to the movies. Yes, I could have just sent the voucher, but I wanted her to know how much I cared, and SO wished I could have been the shoulder she cried on. So I WAS there, every day for a week. It was a small thing, but powerful. It gave her something to look forward to, instead of another day of depression. 

If you would like to support those with depression in your life, and community, follow the following steps:
1-please share this post,  (to get the word out there!) 
2-make or buy a card.
3-take a pic of the card, post that picture on facebook or Instagram, with the hashtag #frommetoyouwhenyourefeelingblu (thanks Leisa Pedersen for that idea!)  
4- send card to your loved one. :-) 

By "hash tagging" your post you enable us all to see how many peoples lives are being touched by sending words of love to those with depression. My team and I would love this to go viral, and 1000s of people with depression recognise there are MANY people who care and want the very best for them. Imagine a person with depression recieving not just one, but, 2, or 3, or 5 cards in July from different people who are concerned for them! What a boost that would be! If things go well- we could do this EVERY JULY!!!!


Id love to hear your thoughts on my idea, and if you are determined to have a go! 

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful card made with so much love. Love your idea to help brighten someone's life and let them know we care. You've inspired me to join your wonderful movement. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Juan- and I love that you have already had a go! Xxx thanks for your support!

      Delete
  2. Love this idea. Guess its time to send some cards to those people and friends who suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. Guess its time to send some cards to those people and friends who suffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can't wait to check the hash tag at the end of the month- I LOVE that people have gotten on board!

      Delete
  4. I would love to join in with this , it is a wonderful gesture on your part. Have you thought of starting a list of some kind so we are reaching the people that really need it. I have been touched by PTSD, Anxiety and Depression. It's not a easy road, some days are good , some are the pits. Unless you have travelled this highway you don't realise how bad it can get for those that suffer. I hate hearing people say pull yourself together as when you are in the depth of this silent killer there is nothing you can do but hang on and be strong for those that depend on you and try and get through that day, sometimes it maybe just trying to get through hour by hour. I would love to be involved and help in any way I can, please private message me if you have specific people you would like these cards to go to. Angexxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Angela! You're comment really touched me. Yes, it's true- it's a difficult thing to understand if you haven't been through it. If only we could just care for one another, and be there. There's all sorts of depression- I haven't got a specific group in mind- but if we know people who are going through a hard time- just to send a work of comfort, commendation or encouragement. It's a powerful gift that's within all our reach to be able to do. Thanks for your support. X

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful idea, and I have seen so many wonderful posts online that I had to search you out. I have dealt with depression for years, as have many members in my family. I know just who I am sending my first card to. Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much for your comments- and especially for having a go at my challenge! #frommetoyouwhenyourefeelingblue

      Delete
  6. Oh look at that wonderful bird Petra...It is so cute and using the in colours so elegantly too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - you have made my day!