Friday, 12 June 2015

Create with Carl, mojo Monday!

Mojo Monday Card

Hi there its Thestampinupbloke again.

Mojo Monday rolls around again and I liked this sketch straight away. I am never quite sure with mojo Monday challenges how close (exact) to the sketch you have to be, the rules seem to leave it open to quite a bit of creative freedom, however I try to incorporate the main elements which I think is the idea. I hope so anyway, correct me if I am wrong. The main things this week a rectangle, a circle and three different vertical strips, Oh and a flower, nearly forgot the flower.

 I have no idea why but I saw a window as soon as I looked at this sketch. I wonder what you see? 


So we had just received our delivery of a nice "Big Brown Box" with lots of new stuff in it. I had been waiting for a few things but the brick embossing folder was at the top of the list (Im a builder it makes sense). With my window idea the brick folder was going to be great. I decided I wanted this to be as simple as possible, I am trying to get colours right and keeping it to 3 colours seemed a good idea and simple. Once I decided on "cajun craze" as the colour for the brick wall I wanted to make the 3 vertical lines, I thought what would it look like if I managed to put a corner in this wall and it was all the same colour????? So I scribed the lines and then embossed the sheet and folded it, so far so good, not too bad but needed just a bit more contrast. To get the bit of contrast I used some ink on a sponge (cajun craze) and rubbed on some extra shading just down the middle line and in a couple of places behind where the window would be. I used the "Apothecary" die set to get the window, no idea what the heck an apothecary is but the shape is cool. Every window needs a frame so I cut one from the same set and used some ink to darken it up a bit. Couple of curtains in "crushed curry" card stock (I used a punch to get the right shape I think it is called the "Bow Builder Punch") and a clock to make the circle part and it was nearly done.

Petra told me she had a clock stamp I searched every stamp set there was in the shelf and do you think I could find it. Petra comes in and has a "Girl" look and finds it in a second  typical. The clock I made from a rectangle and 3 circles I trimmed the rectangle with a corner punchy thing and cut the back circle in half. The clock face and the back circle are "very vanilla" like the background so it seems to blend in a bit maybe would have been better with a bit of another colour but I was sticking with the 3 colours thing. I did break the rule in the end by using a tiny bit of "garden green" on the flower stems which are from the bird builder punch, at least they are all from the same colour family.

A little garden stake from the handpicked framelit dies set and a sentiment from the holiday home stamp set and I think it is done.


Petra sister is building a new house we might have to give this one to them with their housewarming gift.




I used "crushed curry" ink to colour the flowers, more ink for darker less ink for lighter.





So once again not sure if it is exactly the same as the sketch, but this is the inspired from the sketch. Thanks to Julee (Vervegirl) for the great sketch this week looking forward to next week.

Tip for new stampers: What did I learn from this card, well colour is my problem thing at the moment, I have had some difficulty getting the combinations right. This card I was worried that the colours were not bright enough, I did try some brighter colours but they just looked weird. In the end I used the colours that came from the same range "Regal" (a SU colour range) and they all worked together, funny that. So my tip is this don't put in too many colours and try to get them all from the same family of colours If you are using StampinUp there are "Brights" they are super colourful, "Regals" more muted but very dense colours,  "Neutrals" self explanatory I guess and "Subtle's"  a very delicate colour range more "girly" I guess (well thats how I would describe them) .

For the full range visit our online store. StampinUp make packs that have all the colour ranges of card stock and Designer series paper, that all goes together, cant go wrong then.

Till next time - Happy Crafting - "may all your cuts be Paper"
























3 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Love the fun fold. Thanks for playing along with Mojo Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julee it is very much my style of card. Thanks for checking out my card. I'm looking forward to your next challenge for me

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - you have made my day!