Friday, 19 June 2015

Create with Carl Mojo Monday 402

Lost in Space

Hi Everyone Thestampinupbloke is back again,

It has been crazy week and I feel like I haven't been here for ages. I made a photo studio for our card photos, turned out pretty good I think, I hope you can see the difference in the photos this week. I might just have to post some pics of the booth as well. So today I got a chance to make my mojo creation and a blog hop card for the weekend as well.


Our Light Box

This weeks Mojo Monday card was a product of evolution. It started out to be one thing and became another.

Feel free to check out all the other inspired creations using this Sketch-Click on the picture!

 I am still having problems seeing the colour that I want and relating that to the colour that I have. Anyway the colours are kind of what I had in mind, maybe not quite as bright as I wanted but they never seem bright enough to me. I definitely need glasses and help with my spelling it seems.
Probably half my issues come from not wanting to use Petra's precious card stock so I always go to the scrap bin for my cards, hence limited colours.

My idea began as a superhero breaking the sound barrier 3 times with 3 puffs of smoke. Why is my brain so weird??? How on earth am I going to make that look right??? I saw the sketch on Tuesday and have been thinking about it ever since. Petra thinks I am becoming obsessed.

After searching the stamps for a superhero or even a snail with crash helmet, (I know weird right) I gave up on the superhero idea, but the idea of something flying through 3 circles was still there. In the process of looking for circles that would be right I found the "Starburst" frame-lits, and the first part of the evolution began. "Star Burst", star, space, rocket, HMMMMMMM.

I used 4 of the starburst dies to get the circles, I put them all in together and offset them, so one side of the circles was thicker than the other, once through the big shot and tah-dah 3 very star looking circles. I threaded the arrow (the rocket) through the circles and turned the circles around and around until I worked out which way I wanted the thin side to be. It looked best with the thinner edge at the bottom.

A few stars from the left over bits after using the star border punch and I had a galaxy for the rocket to run through. I spent a fair bit of time working out how I wanted the stars to look, after I got it right I took a photo before I took it all off and started to glue it together, it made it easier to get all those little stars back in the right spot.

The sentiment Work Play Repeat came from the project life stamp set "This Is The Life". I really like this set and will use it again, It has some great sentiments in it that are quite appropriate for a male type card.

So a little bit lost in the head became "LOST IN SPACE"



My creation-What do you think?


Being as it is supposed to be space the black background seemed appropriate, I think it turned out pretty good. Petra is going to send it to our teenage nephew I hope he gets a kick out of it.

So my tip from this card:
FRAMING: You will notice that most of my cards have frame of white or another backing colour around the picture (this was one of the first things Petra taught me, "framing stops a card from just being a bunch of stuff on a piece of paper" her words not mine). In this card the white frame stands out against the black background and gives it a finished edge. That doesn't mean that everything has to be inside the frame, in this card lots of bits hang over, but the frame is still visible and makes the card look that much better.
You may see cards that have 2 or more frames around the main picture, it is just a tip that you will have to practice. Try it on your next project and see what a frame can do for your card art.

Till next time - Happy crafting - "may all your cuts be Paper". 















2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love your work Carl, I wish my brain would wake up to make a few cards like yours. I think it's time you should have your own Cardstock and DSP, you have proved you can design cards so venture out of the scrap occasionally Petra will never know, well until you have used it ;) So keep on designing you are so inspiring Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine I appreciate your support. I thought I was just helping Petra out a bit but I am definitely enjoying the opportunity to make something. I still think Petras cards are way better but I guess mine are just different. Cheers

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - you have made my day!